Thursday, April 5, 2012

Family Weird

Growing up, I had a true Best Friend, A. She lived several blocks away from me, and if we weren't at home chances are we were at the other one's house. We were on the same sports teams, I vacationed with her family (to MN, in fact), and we forced our families to celebrate holidays together. I have a ton of stories about our childhood but today I'm talking about ladles.

I ate countless meals with A's family and at some point, I'm going to guess when I was 10 or 11, I happened to notice that when soup was served at her house it was dished out of the pot with a measuring cup. Never a ladle, a measuring cup. Now, my household was a strict Soup is Served with a Ladle household, so this struck me as really, really weird. I mentioned it to A's dad and it kind of became a running joke between us - how very attached to the use of a ladle I apparently was. The joke ran on to my wedding day when, if I remember correctly, A's dad gifted Chris and I a lovingly wrapped soup ladle of our very own.

I was thinking about this recently, wondering what family quirks we've developed that our kids' friends will think are weird. I know that A reads this blog and I am kind of dying to know, do you scoop soup with a ladle or a measuring cup in your house?? Let us know in the comments!

Although I know that at a certain point we will embarrass our children merely by breathing air, I don't feel like there are too many things we do drastically differently than other families. I guess maybe you don't even know what your own quirks are until you see someone doing it differently.

What do you think your own family quirks are? Do you remember any moments when you were a kid and realized that your family did things differently from others?

No comments: