Monday, November 11, 2013

Refreshed

My lovely husband could sense that I was in desperate need of a break and booked me into a non-refundable (meaning I couldn't back out) hotel on Friday night. We all went out to dinner and then he took the three kids home and I headed off for some sorely needed time on my own. It was exactly what I needed. I watched a little TV, read a magazine and went to bed at 9 pm. Although I woke up several times throughout the night, each and every time I appreciated the luxury of going straight back to sleep knowing I wasn't responsible for anyone else. I came home feeling so refreshed. Naturally one night doesn't make up for the whole sleep deficit, but to have that time to myself was invaluable. Plus Archer had to make peace with his daddy and doesn't scream now every time I hand him over.

It was good timing since we had the Epic Party of Poor Judgment on Saturday night (more about that tomorrow). I came home and made cupcakes, checked the guest list and got the last minute details sorted out, and even had the energy and inspiration to do a little mini photo shoot with the kids. I don't have too many good quality photos of the three of them yet, and the year in which we move and have a baby isn't one where the budget accommodates a pricey professional photographer (much as I would love it to). Anyway, I got a shot deemed worthy of our holiday card (which is ordered now, wahoo) and the picture below, which is my new favorite shot of the two big kids. It absolutely captured the two of them perfectly and I couldn't love it more.


Here's to mini-breaks and finding some of that lost mojo.

3 comments:

Elsha said...

Those smiles!! It's too much!

Anonymous said...

So happy you got a night to yourself! Congrats!
-Amy

Navigating the Mothership said...

Awesome picture! And a big hip hip hooray for a much needed break to re-set!