Monday, February 4, 2013

Walking on Water

My husband has fully embraced his Minnesota Winter persona as an ice fisherman. I bought him pretty much all the gear he needed to go out on his own for Christmas and he's been heading out on a lake about a mile from our house most weekends for several hours. I'm happy he has this outlet, and last weekend when the temperatures soared into the 20s I decided I'd take the kids out to see what their dad disappears to do on weekend days.

It's quite a trip to walk out onto what you know full well is a body of water. I really have to work to not think about that fact or I get awfully nervous. As you can see from the pictures it was quite a day, weather-wise...snowing hard and the wind blowing it basically sideways.

I can say with all honesty that once I got out there, I confirmed my suspicion that there are very few activities I would like do less than spend an afternoon ice fishing. Still, the kids got a kick out of seeing the ice house and we got a chance to work off some cabin fever energy while the risk of frostbite was lower.
Heading out onto the lake - looks pretty grim, eh?
Checking out the ice house

Yes, my husband is wearing just a hoodie. In a blizzard.


This child loves to be out in the snow
Snow "angels"

When you think about it, what's not to like about sitting out where no one
can reach you, listening to music and sipping Coors Light?
Warming up after with ice cream cones....the kids are
half Alaskan after all




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Next time send the kids ice fishing with dad. You go for a nice pedicure!