Friday, February 3, 2012

SOTU

Just over a month into the year seems like a good time to check in on my To Do list for 2012.

1. Actively practice random acts of kindness. 

FAIL. I was a total hermit in January and while I made a point of being nice and friendly to people I encountered along our routes, I did not go out of my way to do anything unexpected. Must do better.

2. Read 50 books. 

Doing well on this one. So far I have read: Nice to Come Home To by Rebecca Flowers, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, Summer Rental by Mary Kay Andrews and The Dirty Life by Kristin Kimball. The last one was nonfiction, so that takes care of one of the five I'd like to read. Currently in my stack to read are: The Orchard by Theresa Weir, Set This House in Order by Matt Ruff and I am in the middle of The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. My next book club selection is Cinderella Ate My Daughter and I suggested it so I better get cracking on that one too.

I'd love to give away my copy of The Fault in Our Stars. I absolutely loved it, bawled like a baby and would like to give someone else a chance to enjoy it. First one to leave me a comment gets it.

3. Continue this blog. 

Eh, I'm doing ok. Haven't felt all that inspired but I have gotten some memories preserved.

4. Exercise. 

I've actually been doing really well on this. I love having the elliptical right here at home, and I made it to the gym to do some weights as well. I have been fighting a cold for the last week or so but plan to get back to it as soon as I'm feeling better.

5. Go paperless. 

I signed up for auto bill pay to my electric company, so that's one less check I'm writing a month. Progress.

6. Nurture friendships. 

I give myself a solid B on this one. We didn't do much in the way of attending MOMS Club activities in January, but I managed a night out with friends, a couple of family dinner parties and generally kept in contact with people. My best effort came to fruition last night, which I'll write about in a different post.

7. Potty train B. 

Hmmm. Well, we're making progress. Neither of us is traumatized by the situation yet and I'm not doing loads and loads of pee laundry, but I did just place an order for more Pull-Ups. I'm cool with where we are.

8. Redesign the basement. 

We've made a little progress here, but I give us an A anyway for the impromptu kitchen project. We have two dinner parties here in the next six weeks so I imagine that will continue to motivate us to move forward.

9. Library trips. 

Doing mostly ok on this. We've actually been sort of busy with appointments and things so we haven't been in a couple of weeks. Going on my list for next week.

10. Pay attention to my marriage. 

I think Chris and I have been on more dates this year than most of last year already so I'd say we're doing pretty well. February sort of stinks because he has a long trip and a couple shorter ones for work and a weekend ice fishing trip. I guess I'll have plenty of time to work on #s 2, 3 and 4 while he's away.


2 comments:

Heather719 said...

You know I love a good book!

I really liked The Book Thief- let me know what you think!

Jaida said...

Hey Heather - I'd be happy to send my copy to you! Are you ok to email me your address? jaidaharris at gmail dot com.

I'm finding The Book Thief slow going at the moment...