Sunday, May 5, 2013

Miracle League

Pacey had his first Miracle League baseball game today. Apart from a very brief foray into soccer when we first moved to MN, this is the first organized sports team we've signed him up for.

I sometimes wish Pacey could just play baseball with all the other little 6-year-olds around here. I believe in his inclusion in the community and feel like reasonable accommodations can be made in certain scenarios such that he could participate and feel good about it.

But for now? Pacey needs someone to play baseball with him. And the fact that this league is available, a league where it doesn't set him apart to have someone run the bases with him and remind him of his job as third-baseman, is awesome. He gets to have a buddy - today a young men's team from a local private school was volunteering - who helps him understand, truly be a part of and enjoy the game. He didn't have to be the only kid who had their mom (or dad) trying to help keep their attention on the game amidst all the other stimuli. The kids had a blast and although I fully accept (cynic that I am) that these teenagers are likely largely fulfilling their college-application need to volunteer, I hope that they got something more out of it. They were kind, respectful and really did a great job of helping without overshadowing.

All in all, it was a day of smiles and feelings of achievement. WIN.







Add caption






1 comment:

Lisa said...

I'm so torn about this. We really want to sign Finn up for t-ball next season. Our district has a "challenger league" for kids with disabilities, and I have very mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, I see the point - much like what you are saying, it gives kids an opportunity to play in an atmosphere where they won't stick out like a sore thumb. On the other hand, I feel like, it's t-ball - half the kids will be running amok anyway. So I'm really not sure what we're going to do.

Also, I love that there is someone on Pacey's team named Finn :)