Thursday, December 13, 2012

Checking the List

My list, that is, not Santa's.

I thought it might be a good time to check in on my To Do List for the year to see how much I've accomplished over the past 12 months. I've spent exactly 0 minutes thinking about what will go on my list for 2013, so this seems as good a place to start as any.

1. Actively practice random acts of kindness. 

Hmm, I'd say I sort of fulfilled this item. I think I made more active efforts to this end in the first half of the year, but I'd like to think that I am always subconsciously aware of ways I can help people. I think this will stay on the list for next year.

2. Read 50 books, at least five of which are nonfiction, and keep a list. 

Check! I mentioned that I decided to re-join Goodreads and that is where I'm keeping track of titles I finish (and also those I abandon). I have discovered a love of memoirs, so fulfilling the nonfiction requirement was easier than I thought. I still don't tend to branch out from what I know I like, but since I read for pleasure I'm going to be ok with that.

3. Continue this blog.

Well I've definitely continued writing, that's for sure. My archives say that I blogged 108 times last year and 120 times this year, which was awesome until I realized I didn't start posting until May last year. I am going to think about what sort of specific goal I can set for myself to keep things rolling next year.

4. Find a place for regular, structured exercise in my weekly schedule.

I give myself a B- on this one. I had some great months and some not so great months. I did stay very active on the whole, and I discovered at least one class at my gym that I found extremely motivating and effective. I guess the fact is that while healthy living in general is always on my mind and affects my choices, I just can't always prioritize the structured exercise. Overall, I'm not beating myself up on this.

5. Go paperless wherever possible.

Fail. Fail, fail, big fat fail. I am still showing significant financial support for the postal service.

6. Continue to make connections and nurture friendships.

I absolutely scored high on this this year. I've made new and deeper connections through my position as president of the MOMS Club, and I find myself going out of my way to connect with people, however briefly, throughout my day. One of the coolest things I've seen happen this year is the various areas of my life becoming interconnected. Moms I know from the MOMS Club have kids in therapies at the same time as Pacey and we get to catch up there. Moms I know from swimming lessons have kids at our schools, new people we meet live in our neighborhood. It just makes me feel like part of such a community and I love it.

7. Potty-train my daughter and enjoy some diaper-free days. 

I like how I worded this..."diaper-free days." As worded, complete success! I am still purchasing two sizes of pull-ups that get worn to bed. B has been dry in the morning for probably six months now but she feels more comfortable in a pull-up (fine with me, I feel more comfortable sleeping without the risk of midnight sheet changes!). P hasn't shown any of the signs of physical maturity allowing for night dryness and I couldn't be less bothered by it (nor could he). So I can absolutely say that diaper days are behind us for these two in all ways I actually care about.

8. Complete the plan we hatched to redesign our downstairs space. 

This actually got accomplished really quickly. By the time my mom visited in March I was putting the finishing touches on the kids' new playroom. Chris has really enjoyed having his little pub down there and a bonus has been that we actually use the family room a lot more in the evenings after the kids are in bed. A definite success.

9. Continue to take the kids to the library once a week(ish). 

Another one I can say we definitely achieved! It helped that I really got the request system down through the online catalog and I probably averaged a book or so a week coming in for me, which provided extra motivation to fit our trips in. We discovered a different branch that is huge and gorgeous and serves as a great free afternoon-filler. And I would say that the number of books I purchased this year is probably fewer than ten which is a HUGE improvement on past years (since I am not one who likes to keep books). The kids have a great understanding of what behavior is expected at the library, can check out their own books using the self-serve stations, and I think we will go get their own library cards over winter break.

10. Avoid complacency in my marriage. 

I guess the best I can say here is that there is always room for improvement, but I think we're ending the year in a happy place. It's been an eventful 12 months and while we didn't have as many date nights alone as we might have, I do think we found some new and fun things to do as a family which in turn strengthened our relationship. Our 10-year anniversary is coming up next spring and I think an item on next year's list will be to make sure we give it proper recognition and celebration.

So not a bad year altogether. I wish I'd checked in on this more frequently, but it seems like I stayed on track regardless.

How'd you do on your resolutions this year?

No comments: