Friday, January 13, 2012

Reasons Why Today is a Good Day

1. I got a babysitter to come watch Brighton while I took Pacey for a follow up with his ENT to check his ear tubes. SO much easier to do these appointments with just one child.

2. Pacey aced his hearing test. Behavioral tests have been pretty unreliable in the past, but he totally rocked this one. He completed a lengthy test that involved placing a peg in a board every time he heard a beep. His attention span was awesome and his hearing looks great. His ENT commented (again) that Pacey appears to be doing very, very well developmentally. He sees a lot of children with Down syndrome, so he has a frame of reference and it made me proud.

3. After the appointment I dropped Pacey off here with the babysitter and ran a few errands by myself. Nothing super exciting - the library, the drugstore for some controlled substances (Sudafed) and I treated myself to a Starbucks chai latte - but exponentially easier to do these things without hauling kids in and out of the car. The temperature gauges finally reflect that it is January in Minnesota, so the less time I have to spend standing outside the car wrangling/coaxing/cajoling the better.

4. At the library, I picked up five books that have been on my To Read list. My system when I come across a title I am interested in is to add it to my Amazon wishlist. If I'm not 100% sure, I will download the first chapter to my Kindle (iPhone) and read it. If I like it, it stays on the list. Then, periodically I go through the list and look for cheap used copies of the various books or, if I feel like splurging, might order it new. Recently though, I thought to cross-reference my list with the library's online catalog. There were about 10 available at other branches of the library so I just requested transfers of half of them, added my name to a wait list for some newer titles, and received an email this morning telling me they were ready to pick up. Couldn't have been easier and my favorite price too.

5. We recently purchased an elliptical training machine from Costco. It's currently set up in our bedroom (sexy!) which leaves absolutely no excuse not to use it. I did a 30 minute program during Brighton's nap yesterday and loved it. I'm actually looking forward to using it again today. It never fails to amaze me just how good exercising makes me feel. It's such a no-brainer and yet sometimes so hard to motivate.

6. There are new episodes of Thursday TV to watch while I fold laundry.

7. I am actually going out tonight with a couple of girl friends. Our three families get together on a pretty regular basis for dinners (Boxing Day being the most recent) but we decided we needed a little break away from the kids and a dinner we didn't cook.

8. My friend Sharda started a blog. She's smart and funny, is an attorney and mom to an adorable munchkin, Desi. Go check it out, and if you feel inclined, leave her a comment. I know most of us blog for ourselves and for a record to look back at, but it's kind of a kick to know people are interested too. Oh, and be nice. She probably has lots of incriminating/embarrassing photos of me and I'd hate to provoke her into using them against me ;)

9. My husband officially accepted his new job role at work. I am constantly amazed at his ambition and confidence, and he is clearly extremely well-respected in his field. This new role seems to have put a spring in his step and I love seeing him happy. Plus, the busier he is the fewer times he calls to bug me during the day (just kidding honey).

10. Duh, it's Friday!!

Happy weekend everyone.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I have a $50 gift card to use for books for my Nook and I'm paralyzed with indecision because I'm so used to just getting everything at the library for free. It's a sickness. ;)

Have a good weekend!