Friday, January 3, 2014

2014

I feel no sense of obligation (or desire) to make a To Do list for this year. We achieved so much last year and this year I just want to settle in. Build some grooves that I then have to force us out of every now and then.

That said, I do have some things I would like to do better this year. We're nearly to the six-month mark of having a new baby and, while it's not exactly easy from here, it's time to move out of survival mode. So, in 2014:

More books and games, less screen time. I'm still not ready to impose a screen time limit...mostly because it is the only way I get even a moment without someone talking to me and my sanity (what's left) is still important.

More physical activity. It's pretty easy to just let the kids entertain themselves all day because they are so good at it. But while they are relatively active in their play, I'd like us to get outside more when the weather permits and run around.

More meals eaten together, less short-order cooking. This isn't going to fix itself automatically, we are still a family of four (eating members) that all have dramatically different preferences. However, I think there is more crossover to be found.

Less yelling, more teaching. Lately I've been feeling really sheepish when I crack down on the kids for something and then realize that actually I've never given a clear expectation in regards to that certain behavior. We need a list of Family Rules and we need clear consequences for breaking those rules. That consistency will lay a good foundation for differentiating between something that is annoying vs. something that is unacceptable in our family. As the kids branch out their social lives (weep) I know they will begin to encounter different values and behaviors and I want it to be clear to them what we expect in our home.

Laugh. Laugh some more. Stop taking life so seriously. Every day holds its challenges but many of those can be brushed aside with a deep breath and keeping perspective. This will get more manageable as sleep gets more dependable (for me).

I was out recently, can't remember where, with all three kids and was barely holding it all together. We have been so cooped up with the miserable, bitter cold here that when we do get out they go a little nutso. Anyway, an older gentleman smiled at our little circus and remarked, "Everyday is an adventure, eh?" I find myself drawn to that view and am going to try to keep that in mind this year.

Here's to plenty of adventures in 2014!

No comments: